Friday, September 30, 2011

Week 3

 (Yes, David is still in his PJ's... that's another bonus to homeschooling!)


This week was all about the letter "C." David loves to practise his letters. Besides practising the letter of the week he also spends time practising each letter of the alphabet on his dry erase board. We have a handy one for numbers to so that he can practise those as well. He's been independently figuring out the first letter in many words as well as adding to his list of words he can spell from memory. We had to throw Cookie Monster in there because we often watch him on you tube singing C is for Cookie.

David is going through his math book so quickly. I have it divided into approximately one until per week and I am finding that we are already getting ahead of our lesson plan. He often finishes the lessons before I have time to photo copy the next ones. This week we did units 3E, 3F, 4A-F & 5A-D. Still focusing on counting 1-20... have to get those "teens" really ingrained into him.

Delta Library had a program that encourages reading to your kindergarten student. They have select books with special stickers "100 Books to Read in Kindergarten"... we began this summer and have read over 30 so far (plus probably another 15 that aren't included)... plus many of the books we have at home. We do story time every day. We also have to make sure to do 30 minutes of activity. Yesterday it was so nice out that we walked to the library (David rode... I pushed the girls in the double stroller) until we were almost at the library and the chain came off David's bike. Okay, I know I SHOULD know how to fix a chain on a bicycle but I had never had to before. So there I am pent over his bike clearly looking like I had no clue what I was doing. A kind man pulled up in his truck and asked if I needed help. I said "no thank you." He said "are you sure?" I said yes! Okay, I needed help but he was a stranger AND I didn't want to admit that I needed help. I did manage to get the chain back on but it was off again in less than 60 seconds.  Needless to say it was a long walk home... uphill with a cranky baby and me... pushing 3 kids in my double stroller. To top it all off Angeline lost her shoe and forgot to tell me until 1 km later and it was surprisingly hot out yesterday.

We will be starting "Sing, Spell, Read, Write" on Monday

PS- Thanks Mrs. Van Breada for the planner... I am using it to keep a record of what we accomplish each day and I will scan it and e-mail you a copy.

No comments: