Monday, July 16, 2018

June 2018

     I am trying something new... monthly blog updates as a response to update requests from family and friends. I do enjoy writing and keeping a record of memorable moments and milestones so I am going to attempt to do this on the last day of each month (even though this is being posted half way through July).
     June was a full month like all the months seem to be at this stage in our journey. Angeline, Samara and Rebekah wrapped up their homeschool year on June 8th so we have already been in summer mode for quite some time. They are now ready to head into grades 4, 3 and 1 and we are looking forward to another year of homeschooling beginning in September. Grade 4 may possibly be Angeline's last year Homeschooling as we are planning to apply for her to enroll in late 
Entry  French Immersion for her Grade 5 year. I will be booking Rebekah's kindergarten Grad pictures soon... a tradition we have enjoyed with her 3 older siblings. I know the day will come all too soon when each of their kindergarten grad pic adorn my wall along with their High School graduation pictures. We are too often reminded how quickly children grow into young adults. I certainly do want them to grow into adults but somewhere amongst the chaos I want to take the time to enjoy these precious years while their laughter fills the walls of our home.
     David's last day of Grade 6 was also his last day being 11. (Happy Birthday!) If you follow us on facebook you may have already read my boastings of his scholarly accomplishments... but as any proud Mama should I will gladly boast again that he is exceeding expectations in most subjects. Most of all I am proud of how well he handles such a transitionary year living in a new town, making new friends, starting public school, learning a new language and all the challenged that come along with being in grade 6.
     Mid month Naomi hit her 1/2 Birthday and is now 18 months. I may post official 18 month pictures at a later date or in my July update but for now I will include a more candid shot. Naomi LOVES her soother and so we are not surprised that her vocabulary seems a bit slow to start. She can say a handful of words and names several of her siblings but as the month progressed she has started to use words more frequently and gets praised for using words rather than grunts and pointing... however cute it may be. Some words include "Dad, Mom, Wow, Mara, Apple, Up, Uh-Huh, Oh-Oh."
     Joshua continues to astound us with his vocabulary. We love the new words he adds weekly and uses in context. He adores his siblings and his special role as big brother to "Nomi." He enjoys our family hikes and playing outdoors. He longs for the day he can ride a petal bike but in the mean time does his best to keep up on his run bike. 
      Our family pet, Onyx is now 10 months old. She is a Blue Healer Cross and weighs about 145 lbs. Just this last month she became even more vocal. She sounds like a big dog when she barks. She likes to while and growl to communicate her wants, likes and dislikes. She has recently begun to realize that she needs to "ask" for people food if it has been left within her grasp by one of the littles. She will sit starring at it until Jon or I notice... and if we don't notice she will likely whine a "please." She is smart, affectionate, obedient (for the most part) and great with the kids. We love her to bits.
      We squeezed a lot of fun... some of the extra special highlights include our 3rd annual camping trip to Rathtrevor with Nana and Papa... this time my cousin Rene joined us with his 2 youngest, Pearl and William. 1st time Mini Golfing ever for our middle 4 in Parksville. A visit from our Sunshine Coast friends, the Poons. Camp Bob Open House (near Campbell River)... and Water Park time at Roger Creek.
   We tried a few new recipes this month that are worth noting. I was able to use the mini cheesecake pans I got for my birthday and made oreo cheesecakes... the best part was the chocolate whipping cream on top! I can't believe I have lived 35 years and never thought to add cocoa powder to my whipping cream. We also made Nanaimo Bar cupcakes which were really tasty!
     Now that it's mid July I need to start working on my July update that I am hoping to Post August first. I hope that your summers are just as filled with adventure and time spent with loved ones.

No comments: