Saturday, January 4, 2014

Happy Nothing New Year 2014

      As each year comes to an end, in preparation for the New Year I like to make a list of what I would like to do differently. I guess you can call them resolutions. Some of them are typical like loosing weight, which after a month of turkey dinners, Christmas cookies and chocolates really shouldn't come as a surprise. Mostly it just seems like a good time to evaluate how things are going and how one might make some improvements.
      This year I've made a list but there is also something different we are trying. We have committed as a family to buying Nothing New for the entire year of 2014. So, we are now in the middle of our first week. I have to admit, my first trip to COSTCO was hard! And Jonathan has already had to remind me once that it still counts even if it is 50% off. Even though we are only 4 days in we have already come across a few things that we would normally set out to buy. The kids use small glass cups for drinking out of and being that they are kids they sometimes get broken. I've broken a few myself. We buy them in a pack at ikea for a reasonable price. They fit nicely in the dishewasher. They match. I think we lost a few over the month of December and with 4 kids drinking out of them we seem to be out of clean cups before super. I was tempted to just go to Ikea and pick up another set. The other thing is our Brita has had a crack in it for probably more then a year. Some unfiltered water leaks through as it is running its course, not really a big deal but we just finished our last filter and so it was time to say good-bye. We decided we can live with just drinking tap water but it makes for lots of trips to the sink during meal times. So we used a juice jug to bring to the table when we eat. This works fine but I would prefer to use a glass pitcher. So, I made my way to Talize and found 6 matching glasses (49 cents each) and a glass pitcher (2$) for our water. Now I can feel good about saving money and reusing.
      Another Resolution for this year is for Jonathan and me to go on a monthly DATE. That makes for 12 dates a year which probably doesn't sound like much but I think it is about 9 more dates then we had in 2013.
    So, Happy New Year to you and Happy Nothing New Year to us.

2 comments:

LeAnna said...

I like the idea of buying nothing new for a year. So much stuff gets wasted! We were trying to make do with buying little new these past ten months as we knew we'd only be settled shortly so anything we bought we'd have to get rid of. I've become very creative with jars & other forms of food packaging!

Karen said...

sounds good Melissa! you always get me to buy that something new, and sneak it in somewhere!! hehe ;)