Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Labour of Love

I thought I would share a bit of my labour story for those I haven't had a chance to talk to. We were very thankful to have a natural delivery after having to have a c-section with David. I shared in earlier posts that I had a lot of false labour. Thursday night was no exception to that but little did I know it would turn into the real thing. I spent Friday morning wondering if it might be labour but mostly assuming that it was more false labour. After lunch I phoned the doctor to see what she thought and she said to give it some more time but that it probably was labour. I phoned Jonathan and he decided to come home from work a bit early. That ended up being good because by the time he got home the pain was much worse and I was starting to think we should go to the hospital. By the time Jon had a shower and we got a few things ready we were in a bit of a panic to get out the door. On the way to the hospital my contractions were only 2 minutes apart. We arrived at the hospital around 3pm and by the time we filled out the paper work and they got us a bed in assesment I was 8cm dialated and starting to feel a lot of pressure. They got me a room fairly quickly, checked my again and I had reached 10cm.
I started using some gas for the pain once I got to my room and was pushing in no time. My water still hadn't broken so after 30-60 minutes of pushing the doctor broke my water. As always that made the pain worse and I believe I said "give me drugs now" or something along those lines. They wanted to try without anything since Noah was almost born but I was so overwhelmed. They started an IV and gave me a small dose of fentenol which was just enough to get me to push more effectively. Before the fentenol I was fighting my body which was pushing on its own anyway. Once I realized Noah was almost here I was able to give a few good pushes and he was out in no time. Pushing took in total an hour and a half which isn't too bad for a first delivery. My throat was sore from screaming but everyone said I did great job. I am thankful that it went quicky and that we had a sucessful v-back. If anyone wants full details just ask but I thought I would write a blog friendly version. *smile*

No comments: