Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Christian Foundations - Term 1

 We are beginning to wrap up term one of grade 1 for David and so I am beginning to blog some summaries and examples of the work David has completed this term. For Christian Foundations I have been working with 2 curriculum books both new to us this year. The first book is "1st Grade Enjoying God's Gifts" by Cherie Noel. There are 35 lessons in this book which makes it a good length for the school year. We will be completing the first 12 lessons for term 1, covering most of the first 3 units.
Unit 1 - God's Gift: The World - The Story of Creation
Unit 2 God's Gift: Special Promises - The Stories of Noah, Abraham, Jacob, And Joseph
Unit 3 God's Gift: Worship - The Stories of Josiah and Joash
Each lessons is different. Some involve filling in blanks, dot to dot pictures, colouring by number, match the number to the correct picture and even a poem.
The lessons are short and fun so they work well in between heavier subjects. They also supplement Language Arts and over lap with Science (learning about plants and animals) and Social Studies  (learning about family and rules). I  often remind David of the poem he completed during school time.

I do my work
With all my might;
God is pleased
When I do it right.

In all i do,
I do my best;
After I work,
Then I can rest.





 We also use "a reason for Handwriting"by Carol Ann Retzer and Eva Hoshino. This curriculum is designed to help improve writing, memorize scripture and share God's word with others. Rather then learn two memory verses each week we have coupled this curriculum with David's Sunday School programs memory verse. By the end of term 1 he will have memorized 10 verses.



 Along with his school activities and Sunday School David also attends an evening program weekly at our church which these last two pictures are from. We also have family bible time and just this week they have added a reading schedule to his Sunday School class so he is responsible for completing 2 bible readings each week. It is my prayer that all these things will help David build good character, that he will be known for his kindness and like King David that he might be remembered as a man after God's heart.

No comments: