Tuesday, March 4, 2008

He's My Brother


He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother -Written by B. Scott and B. Russell
The road is long
With many a winding turn
That leads us to who knows where
Who knows when
But I'm strong
Strong enough to carry him
He ain't heavy, he's my brother
So on we go
His welfare is of my concern
No burden is he to bear
We'll get there
For I know
He would not encumber me
He ain't heavy, he's my brother
If I'm laden at all
I'm laden with sadness
That everyone's heart
Isn't filled with the gladness
Of love for one another
It's a long, long road
From which there is no return
While we're on the way to there
Why not share
And the load
Doesn't weigh me down at all
He ain't heavy, he's my brother
He's my brother
He ain't heavy, he's my brother...

Some of you recognise this song from the 70's... some of you recognise it from the 80's when it played during an anti-drug campaign commercial (that's probably where I first heard it). Read through the lyrics, it's a beautiful song.
During my pregnancy I wondered if I was having a boy or a girl. I wanted a little girl so that I had one of each and I wanted a little boy so that David and his brother would be close in age like my dad and his brother (my Uncle Ches). I hoped like any mother hopes that they would be best friends.
We found out Noah was a boy shortly after they told us our baby was very sick, not likely to survive. After receiving the details of Noah's suspected diagnosis I began to grieve for my baby boy. I also became immensely worried of what we would do should our baby boy survive. How would we take care of him? What would it mean for David? The first few days after we first heard the words "trisomy 13" two questions repeated in my mind.
1. What will I do if he doesn't make it?
2. What will I do if he does?
I was very ashamed that it was the second of the two questions that plagued me most.
Taking a picture of my two sons today and wondering again how we will all be touched by Noah's life this song came to my mind and I know you can apply the words to all of us who love Noah...
He ain't heavy, he's my brother
He ain't heavy, he's my grandson
He ain't heavy, he's my nephew
He ain't heavy, he's my baby

4 comments:

Karen said...

Beautiful! I cried....

Nicole Elisabeth said...

they are ADORABLE! such a lovely picture and poem. You have the most handsome little men around Melissa!

theBreedvelds said...

You bring tears to my eyes so often Melissa! Thank you for your honesty and thank you for helping me to grow. Noah means so much to me and we love him so much. I hope he will know the impact he has had on so many of us.

Jenn Stevenson said...

Oh Melissa - what a great picture! They are so cute, and it's so lovely when they're sleeping :)

Love Jenn