Friday, March 6, 2009

We Remember Noah

Strangely enough a year has now passed since we held Noah in our arms and kissed him good-bye. I can't say that the year has gone quickly or that it has dragged either but "time" has certainly become a strange concept. Reflecting back on the last year brings memories or both joy and sorrow and I have surprised myself in many ways. The times that I thought would be most difficult were not and there were other times the grief has snuck up and surprised me. November was definitely the most difficult month for me, the anniversary of the month we truly grieved for Noah... shortly after it had been discovered that he had Trisomy 13 and that we might never get to meet him before he left this world. We continue to be thankful that wasn't the case, thankful that we had 28 days to hold him, love him and be loved by him.
Our life line this year has been the parent grief support group we attend at Canuck Place. I don't know how we would have made it through our first year without Noah if it wasn't for them. The support from family and friends is much appreciated so thank you for that. But there is something irreplaceable about the comfort which can only be offered by someone who can truly say "I know how you feel." I could attempt to explain in words what it was like to hold Noah while he breathed his last or how difficult it was to hand him over to the man from the funeral home, knowing that was the last time I would kiss or hold him on this earth... but I hope that no one will ever again have to experience such overwhelming sorrow. Other parents who have come face to face with these same moments (though they were once strangers to us) have played such a key role in helping us move forward. So, if you are thinking of Noah today or if you ever feel compelled out of the goodness of your heart to make a donation to make a difference please consider donating to Canuck Place. Their telethon is on March 15th and I have a link to their website on this blog. Last year the telethon took place while we were at Canuck Place saying good-bye to Noah. Many of you have already made donations to Canuck Place in memory of Noah and for that we thank you. One of the things we do at Canuck Place is light a candle in memory of each child as we meet near the anniversary of their passing. We stand in a group and say "We Remember..." Today and always "We Remember Noah."
Knowing that we have made it through one year helps us know that we can make it through one more and the next but it doesn't heal the place in our hearts that longs for Noah to be here. Know that we are "doing fine"... we are moving forward and we have chosen to continue to live life to its fullest not only for ourselves but for Noah and our other children.
Also know that we like to talk about him and that even if it does bring a few tears that it is helpful to us and that we like to know that you are thinking of him too.
As I write I think of the hymn "It is well with My Soul" and I could think sure... that is easy enough for the composer to say but if you know his story you know that he lost everything before he wrote the well known hymn. After one year it still hurts to sing those words but it is getting easier.
It Is Well With My Soul
When peace like a river, attendeth my way,When sorrows like sea billows roll;Whatever my lot,
Thou hast taught me to say,It is well, it is well, with my soul.
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"It Is Well with My Soul" is a very influential hymn penned by hymnist Horatio Spafford and composed by Philip Bliss.
This hymn was written after several traumatic events in Spafford’s life. The first was the death of his only son in 1871, shortly followed by the great Chicago Fire which ruined him financially (he had been a successful lawyer). Then in 1873, he had planned to travel to Europe with his family on the S.S. Ville du Havre, but sent the family ahead while he was delayed on business concerning zoning problems following the Great Chicago Fire. While crossing the Atlantic, the ship sank rapidly after a collision with a sailing ship, the Loch Earn, and all four of Spafford's daughters died. His wife Anna survived and sent him the now famous telegram, "Saved alone." Shortly afterwards, as Spafford traveled to meet his grieving wife, he was inspired to write these words as his ship passed near where his daughters had died.
Bliss called his tune Ville du Havre, from the name of the stricken vessel.[1]
The Spaffords later had three more children, one of whom (a son) died in infancy. In 1881 the Spaffords, including baby Bertha and newborn Grace, set sail for Palestine. The Spaffords moved to Jerusalem and helped found a group called the American Colony; its mission was to serve the poor. The colony later became the subject of the Nobel prize winning Jerusalem, by Swedish novelist Selma Lagerlöf.

9 comments:

Sabrina said...

Melissa
We are thinking of and remembering Noah today. He was a beautiful boy and I wish I could have met him, but am so happy to have met him through your eyes here on your blog.
xox

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for the blog. Noah has been on our lips and in our hearts all day. My white rose in my vase is a constant reminder of him. We loved him but know that he is now safe in the Arms of Jesus.
Love you all
gramma/grandpa

The Radke's said...

We have been thinking of you throughout the day. I am glad to know that the healing is still continuing, I also know you will never forget him, and that you will never want to!
We love you all.

Lauren Laidler said...

thank you for writing to us all about how you are coping and how this last year has been for you both. the roses are beautiful and know that we are praying for you all and missing noah too. think of him everyday! love and big hugs to you guys!!!!! xoxoxox

LeAnna (and David) said...

my prayers are with you guys especially today.

Anonymous said...

Jared and I think of Noah every day. I never met Noah but hearing from Lauren and Jared and reading your words makes me wish I could have met him and held him.

Jared and I are always thinking of you all. We miss you.

Love Katherine

BSLytwyn said...

Meliss & Jon,

Noah has changed so many lives including mine defiantly for the better. We are thinking of him today and always. I find myself thinking about him everyday. At lil' Noah's funeral I remember thinking, how such a sweet lil' boy could live only 28 days?. It was very sad and hard for me to understand. Today I know that he was needed to be here for only those 28 day's to meet his family and now I know he is in a better place with our Heavenly Father. Thinking of lil' sweet Noah I am reminded of the phrase "Until we meet again" - which is an amazing phrase that I think of quite often. Noah has really taught me to not take anything for granted and that we are all truly here for a reason. He has really taught me to live each day as it could be our last and for that I am truly thankful. Noah will always be remembered in my heart.

Love you guys, Sheena.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for putting into words what my heart goes through each year. It has now been 23 years but I still choke up when that hymn is sung in church as the grief wells up once again. I could never have explained the impact of a child's death as eloquently. God's blessing on you, Jonathan and David and Ms. Sweet Pea.

Jane Photo said...

I was thinking of you guys and Noah this week. Can't believe a year has already passed. Poor little guy, but so so lucky to have had such a wonderful family for his short time here.